WHY DO Brake LIGHTS STAY ON WHEN Motorcar IS OFF

Asked by sreneau Jul 23, 2013 at 08:38 PM about the 2001 Toyota Corolla CE

Question blazon: Maintenance & Repair

39 Answers

brake peddle retracting spring weak ,or levers demand lubed

51 people found this helpful.

Those guys are right on...unplug the electrical connector to the switch- the brake lights should now be off. If they are, replacing the switch will solve the problem.

85 people found this helpful.

Check for the cushion (part # 90541-06036). If you find plastic pieces on your mat near the brake and accelerator pedals, then its an indication that yous demand to supersede the cushion. When the brake switch is not pressed due to missing absorber pad on the brake pedal and so the brake light is always on which causes it to drain your battery and overheat the brake switch which information technology turns switches on the Check engine low-cal. This pocket-sized particular will cost $three at a toyota dealership. You may replace information technology past yourself if you accept a torch merely its a picayune difficult to get reach of it only will save you on coin.

242 people establish this helpful.

I sorted mine with a $1 coin and duct tape... Should get me to a dealership for a proper cushion

53 people found this helpful.

Does anybody know the exact proper noun of the brake pedal cushion? I plant those rubber pieces beneath it. I have a 94 Corolla. Thank your for you help.

19 people institute this helpful.

Aye, that part.

7 people found this helpful.

Called bumpers

seven people found this helpful.

My car is a 95 Toyota Corolla dx my brake lights stay on when machine is off

39 people establish this helpful.

My automobile is a 95 Toyota Corolla dx my brake lights stay on when motorcar is off where is the electric switch located at

22 people found this helpful.

Look on the brrake lever, there will exist a switch. Does anything bear on the switch when the lever is non pressed? In that location should be a rubber bumper that presses the switch. DavidH, above, has an respond showing the assembly. Hashimer, above, has an answer suggesting to look for the bumper part.

xvi people found this helpful.

I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla and just had this problem today. Get-go of all, make sure to remove the brake light fuse so y'all don't burn out your lights/bombardment (for my automobile the fuse box is behind the storage container left of steering cycle, Cease lights, fuse 15). Just brand certain to put it back afterward! I still had my bumper, it had bankrupt off and was on the driver's side floorboard, so I somehow managed to tape information technology back in place until I tin can go the new part.

22 people institute this helpful.

i did found the little pieces of the bumper on the floor. i wish someone would depict a diagram on exactly how to do information technology. i'chiliad a elderly lady , simply accept done nearly everything myself , only because i couldn't beget to pay people. and so if someone could send me a diagram i would securely capeesh information technology . thanking you once again

15 people found this helpful.

Sad to hear you're having trouble, the diagram DavidH25 posted was really helpful merely I labeled the identify where the rubber bumper is supposed to go. Hope this helps!

44 people establish this helpful.

Just wanted to say thank you guys for your amazing photos, diagrams, and for listing the office number! I was able to get my car (96 Corolla) working for now with two pennies and superglue, although I have the OEM parts ordered and coming in in two days :) FWIW I also found pieces of the rubber bumper on the flooring mat (in three parts).

9 people found this helpful.

fixed the issue by putting a money right in between.

seven people constitute this helpful.

1996 Toyota corolla: I used a couple of minor wire ties (zip ties) through the hole the rubber bumper (cushion) mounts in for the interruption peddle switch. And then trimmed the backlog off the wire ties so they wont get defenseless up in anything & possibly keep the interruption peddle from operating correctly.

four people constitute this helpful.

Champions!! I've been having this event on and off over the by 12 months (93 corolla) now I know what the problem is I'll sort it out, having to jump showtime this little gem afterward piece of work this evening has certainly given me motivation.

5 people found this helpful.

My switch wore a pigsty through the safe, the zip necktie idea will become me to a parts store without the cops riding my dorsum.

8 people found this helpful.

I had this issue most 2 months ago on my ute...fixed it with ii buttons glued together...works a treat...merely had my Toyota Coaster do the aforementioned this evening, so I'm pretty certain the same issue and with the same set up...good thing I am a hoarder and have heaps of buttons...I am in the process of de-hoarding and was going to toss my buttons out a few months ago...something tells me I shouldn't merely i must, very before long!!!

7 people institute this helpful.

My back Toyota vitz low-cal has been on almost all dark yesterday, I had to turn on the machine and then off and so that the light goes off. This happened throughout the whole night. What should I do?

3 people found this helpful.

Hey folks, honey y'all all for posting nigh this. Its exactly my problem on my '95 Toyota, establish function on mat, etc. But take a few questions: the part Carquest sold me doesnt look similar the role that bankrupt, which looks like hasimmer posted. I presume thats ok? Second, how do you get it in identify? Information technology looks like you madh the brake pedal and so squeeze it in--except I cant become it in. Seems besides large. And then thought maybe I'd try the penny/button road-- just how do you get that to stay? Glue?

5 people institute this helpful.

Oh, i forgot... i was trying to put role where pushrod is. I put coin at that place and lights went out. How do you put office up past switch? How unplug switch? I'grand afraid of breaking it

three people found this helpful.

Just put a right sided spiral into the hole where the cushion sits and secure with a bolt on the other end. The screw head then serves as a plunger which pushes against the switch when pedal is released. At to the lowest degree metal wont break every bit hands as lousy plastic parts. This was a lousy design and technology should remove the need for cushion altogether by manufacturing everything metallic with a piston that presses confronting the switch. imho

viii people found this helpful.

It but happened to me final night, brake lights stayed on. Great to see unlike kinds of suggestions from unlike people, thanks. I have adjusted the screw idea, very unproblematic, took a pan head viii/32 bolt by about ane/ii inch long and inserted from the top where the original bumper would become in from the summit and secured it with a nut from the other side and fifty-fifty put besides a lock washer to ensure information technology volition never loosen upward, really simple. The location is a little of a pain but non too bad.

four people found this helpful.

I own a 7th-generation Toyota Celica and I was utterly confused by my automobile'due south brake lights suddenly being constantly on. I was kinda lucky that I come beyond this page and see all the various responses. I found the culprit being the plastic cushion as I encounter pieces as hashimmir has mentioned. Will soon gear up my issue possibly past using a nut and commodities, if not something else.

2 people constitute this helpful.

Toyota Camry 2001 without the brake switch cushion

17 people found this helpful.

With the brake switch cushion

15 people found this helpful.

Thanks. It was truly helpful, I changed my fuse thinking that was the consequence.

ii people institute this helpful.

Yes! My restriction lights stayed on on June 28, 2019 in my '98 Toyota Corolla. I found this thread with the function number and ordered the part. The original cushion was in a few pieces on the floor mat. In the interim, I used an ordinary push button. The most frustrating part was positioning myself just correct to become the push in the correct spot. This site and the pictures / diagram really worked! Here we are at the beginning of Baronial and the button is yet working just fine. When it stops though, I take the replacement part that I ordered ready. Luv it!

three people plant this helpful.

Thanks guys so much!!!!!!!! This just happened to my machine, 2000 Toyota Corolla v speed manual manual. I thought it was the SW coast rut that did something! After reading this and how everyone was fixing their problem, I took a expect at mine. I immediately noticed the plastic absorber broken into 3 pieces on my driver's floor mat. Had to pull my seat all the style dorsum and lay upside downwards with my head touching the brake pedal to see the switch. I used 3 pennies and electrical tape to stuff up there. This was a great, cheap, temporary (peradventure , maybe non) fix. I'one thousand short on cash in a new country beyond the country trying to start a new job. I'1000 so happy I plant this thread!!!! Who knows what a shop would've charged me.

5 people found this helpful.

My lights stay on but when the headlights are on

Cheers I will have a expect around. Is it a bad thought to spray some wd40 in effectually the lite fixtures?

1 people plant this helpful.

I found the trouble quickly today was the second bulb I check and went and got a new one and all is working great now..God knows how long they were stuck on for only for the guy in the auto carwash told me. Thanks a lot for your assistance!!

1 people found this helpful.

Yeah I retrieve it said made in Mainland china

This is the ane I bought, i retrieve it's the aforementioned as the old ane ..both say made in Communist china

November. 2019. My 1989 Toyota Camry restriction lights stayed on and ran down the battery. Your button thought worked great. At least I merely finished sliding one in and feel adept that it will work for the long term. The Camry was harder to access the plunger switch, so I'm adding these comments. I am a 69 yr erstwhile human with bifocals, so scrunching on the floor lath and seeing where to slide the button in was a hurting. If you have pieces of the old spacer on your floor board use them to estimate the size button needed to slide in. I'm either good or lucky. Mine popped in just right. 1st. Slide the front seat back 2nd Ii Phillips screws allows you to remove the small under dash panel then you can see upwards in there third. Unhook the brake pedal bound so fat fingers can slide a push button in. I slid mine in with button indentation on the plunger side. 4th. Don't forget to hook the leap back up just fifty-fifty if you have to go back, total time took well-nigh 2 hrs. I actually capeesh the helpful hints above my comments!

two people plant this helpful.

How practice I actually get the bumper in? I dont seem to have enough fingers or maybe mot skinny enough. I just tin't get it in to the right spot. been trying for an hour.

2 people found this helpful.

(1994 Toyota Camry,) I have to disconnect my battery In order to shut the tail lights off. Brakes were working fine. They just went out. I checked all the bulbs and they're all good. I don't know what tin be the problem. Would appreciate someones help. TIA.

Hey only had the same effect on my 2001 camry. I adjusted the switch in which corrected this issue with no boosted parts or mcguivery, lol. Had to have someone watch the lights equally I fine adapted

Your Answer:

Corolla

Looking for a Used Corolla in your surface area?

CarGurus has 20,675 nationwide Corolla listings starting at $1,599.

Shortcuts

Related Models For Auction

Used Honda CR-Five

1,928 Corking Deals out of 29,314 listings starting at $1,900

Used Cars for Sale

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or canonical by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.